Friday, January 14, 2011

Never Let Me Go (Kazuo Ishiguro)

I knew the library CAIS have it on the shelves, but I never really bothered to check it out until I read about the film Never Let Me Go (starring Carey Mulligan, Keira Knightley and Andrew Garfield) based on the novel of the same name in one of the TIME issues. Then I did some Googling before I borrowed it. So yeah, I already knew about the twist before reading it.

I first started reading it right after my finals. But I only finished reading the story shortly before I went to Royals, which was about 1 week before the Christmas. I suppose I could have taken longer period of time to finish it but seeing that I was left with nothing much to do at home by that time, I could have finished it way earlier either. Like I said, I knew about the twist beforehand, hence I wasn't left that puzzled about many things (that went explained or unexplained) in the book.

The story started off with Tommy getting bullied by other students because of some silly harmless joke he pulled during the art class, and also because of his poor reputation for "creativity". There was once Kathy tried to be friendly to him and that was how their friendship was established. Later, Tommoy got into a relationship with Kathy's buddy, Ruth.

Growing up in Hailsham hadn't been easy. There were so many unwritten rules the students imposed on themselves. There were topics they avoided because bringing up would make their guardians awkward whenever they came near this territory. Kathy, Ruth, Tommy and other students at Hailsham had been constantly reminded of how special or important they were, that they must always keep themselves well and healthy. They were different from their guardians, and also from the normal people outside. Nevertheless, they didn't really know what that meant until they were older.

Mind u, even though these kids were "different" and they were isolated from the outside world, they were nonetheless like u and I when there were cliques, dramas occurring in daily life and they were curious about sex when they had entered the teenage years. But none of them would live the way they planned, either being the film stars or working in supermarkets. And this is because "Your lives are set out for you. You'll become adults, then before you're old, before you're even middle-aged, you'll start to donate your vital organs. That's what each of you was created to do. You're brought into this world for a purpose, and your futures, all of them have been decided." Yeah, the twist is they were cloned for organ donating purpose.

After they moved and lived at the Cottages, one day Kathy decided to leave to start her training to become a carer after something happened between her, Tommy and Ruth. Of course, the three of them met again and spent some time together many years later before Tommy and Ruth had had their last donation and died. Also, Tommy and Kathy at last did go to see one of their guardians, Miss Emily and Madame. A lot of mysteries which puzzled them in those early days were answered. Like why Madame turning up several times each year to select their best work etc.

It is not like I didn't enjoy this book. I did. But I started to skim through it upon entering those chapters where the characters met each other many years later. It seemed like I lost my interest or maybe all I needed was more time. And last but not least, although Ruth was the bad guy in the story, I couldn't help but like her. Yes, she was indeed manipulative and selfish.. but I believe under most circumstances, that's how it should be, especially when u are on your own.

P/S: Looking forward to get a soft copy of the film itself!!! Wanna watch Keira Knightley.

(Once again, think it's a bit too long. Also, I seriously need to work on my writing. And it obviously took me ages to finish a review too :S )

No comments:

Post a Comment