Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Perks of Being a Wallflower ( Stephen Chbosky)

"It is a story narrated by a teenager who goes by the alias of "Charlie"; he describes various scenes in his life by writing a series of letters to an anonymous person, whom he does not know personally. The story explores topics such as introversion, teenage sexuality, homosexuality, abuse, and the awkward times of adolescence. The book also touches strongly on drug use and Charlie's experiences with this. " (From Wikipedia)

It does sound like something I normally dig. Afterall what "Charlie" is put through, those happy and sad moments, is something I believe every teenager or young adult has been through (or is still going through); something that we should be familiar with in one way or another; something that we can relate ourselves to.

Surely when "Charlie" touches on the tragedies that happen in his life - the suicide of his friend, his sister's teenage pregnancy, domestic violence etc, it touched my heart. However, to my surprise, I was actually bored that I decided to stop half way through instead of finishing it. I found the way the story is narrated monotonous that I simply couldn't be bothered to pick up the pace to find out more. And I want to read no more tragedies.

1 comment:

  1. The Perks of Being a WallFlower allows insight into a young man's life as he begins Highschool. The book had interesting conflicts but they didn't get enough face time. The relationships formed in the book were interesting enough, although not always positive with Clay's new involvement into the life of drugs, parties, and alcohol.

    ReplyDelete