Wednesday, August 10, 2011

For the coming one year..

I am not going to start with how much the local libraries suck with their pathetically inadequate book collections which they never seemed to update since ages ago. Instead, I am going to talk about one which never fails to surprise me, which is my uni library.

For the past three years in university, I had spent majority of my campus life in the library. And I foresee myself spending more time there in my coming final year. However, I must admit I was there mostly for the free internet access and cool air-conditioning (to avoid the killer heat) other than the fact that it does provide the kind of superb environment that enables me to concentrate on doing my works.

Regarding the books, I was initially there for reference books related to my field of study. Then I started to explore more and discover that there was a section for fictions. And I was even more amazed that they have some really good collections such as Kafka on The Shore, To Kill a Mockingbird, Never Let Me Go, The Virgin Suicides, Memoirs of a Geisha etc (but mostly are Asian Literature which I wasn't all that keen). One day, I even found an erotic short stories which I of course wouldn't miss haha! Without limiting myself, I moved on to other sections like economics, religion, science etc and I was pleasantly surprised with what I had stumbled across.

For the coming one year (August '11-August '12), I am aiming to read more non-fictions instead. With that, I am targeting to at least read a minimum of non-fictions on biography/ psychology/ philosophy/ politics/ business/ culture while at the same time, I hope I will still be reading fictions. I try not to be ambitious or unrealistic because it will be my final year and I am positive I will be very much occupied with my final year project + lectures + assignments + exams + goofing around with friends before we go separate way + job hunting.

Lets see how it goes then. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment